Chicory and Broad Bean Soup
- 300g dried broad beans
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/4 lb Catalonia chicory or escarole
- Pinch of chili powder
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Contributed by: Lorenza De'Medici
Source: 'A Passion for Vegetables'
- Put the beans in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight
- Drain the beans, place in a saucepan with the onion, garlic, salt to taste and 8 cups water.
- Bring to a slow boil and cook for about an hour.
- Wash the chicory and slice roughly.
- Add to the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Pour into a soup tureen, add the chili and the oil and serve.